See us in the news!
Hawaii Monitor: Shifting the Sands to Evade Waikiki’s Zoning Limits
Jun 11, 2014Civil Beat
- The hotel company Kyo-ya is using a nonexistent shoreline to get around restrictions on building heights.
Words and Actions, Purple Spot Edition
Feb 16, 2012Civil Beat
- Honolulu City Council's campaign pledges then and now
Mauna Kea–Sacred Summit or Cash Cow? Controversy over the Thirty Meter Telescope
Sep 14, 2011Honolulu Weekly
- Are the contributions of astronomy worth the actual costs?
TMT: controversy combusts
Jul 20, 2011Ka Leo The Voice
- Native Hawaiian practitioners and conservationists are making a case against the Thirty Meter Telescope, proposed to be built on Hawaiian public conservation lands atop Mauna Kea.
Grassroots hui coordinates defense of the Mauna Kea conservation district
Jul 04, 2011The Hawaii Independent
- Grassroots hui coordinates defense of the Mauna Kea conservation district
Development blocks traditional access
Jun 13, 2011StarAdvertiser
- As land developments increase in Hawaii's once rural areas, some residents are becoming increasingly worried about the loss of access to recreational, hunting and fishing areas.
Papaikou Access Statement of Facts
Jun 13, 2011
- Papaikou Access Statement of Facts
Line in the Sand Rally
May 04, 2011Honolulu Weekly
- A 26-story condo/hotel proposed by Kyo-ya Hotels and Resorts for the lot between the old Moana Hotel and Kuhio Beach Park will be the target of a grassroots protest organized by KAHEA: The Hawaiian-Environmental Alliance.
Kyo-Ya: Hearing set for Surfrider’s new tower
Apr 08, 2011WaikikiPacific Business News
- Proponents say Kyo-ya’s projects must proceed to ensure Waikiki’s success
Mauna Kea Telescope OK'd
Feb 26, 2011StarAdvertiser
- Land Board approves Conservation District Use Permit for 18-story, 8-acre Thirty Meter Telescope construction project on conservation lands on Mauna Kea.
A done deal becomes a cause célèbre
Oct 20, 2010Honolulu Weekly
- Oahu’s enviro-watchdogs had launched a last-minute, do-or-die mobilization against a super-luxury hotel/condo tower that wants to break some important zoning laws and squeeze itself onto a narrow strip of sand smack in the middle of Waikiki, between the old Moana Hotel and bustling Kuhio Beach Park.
Sep 01, 2010Honolulu Weekly
- Conservation rule changes bring out hundreds of concerned residents.
Overhaul of Conservation Rules Rushed
Aug 29, 2010Honolulu Star-Advertiser, Op-Ed
- Op-ed by Professor Jon Osorio and Vicky Holt-Takamine.
Lualualei community fights to save farmland
Aug 18, 2010The Hawaii Independent
- Hawaii Independent reports - Lualualei community fights to save farmland
Science, Culture Clash Over Sacred Mountain
Mar 18, 2001Los Angeles Times
- The emotionally charged debate over Western and Hawaiian uses of this rocky pinnacle is much more than a fight over a telescope or a mountaintop. To many Hawaiians, nothing less than the future of their homeland is at stake. And it is a perfect example of the often fumbling progress of Western science in a multicultural world.