See us in the news!
UH turned Mauna Kea into a poorly managed industrial park
May 21, 2015Star Advertiser
Not on our land
May 11, 2015Honolulu Star-Advertiser
- The fate of the Thirty Meter Telescope on Mauna Kea could be linked to a looming, lesser-known fight at the Hawaii Supreme Court over a Haleakala telescope
Mauna Kea telescope petition delivered with 53,000 signatures
Apr 20, 2015Honolulu Star-Advertiser
- Over 53,000 petition signatures against TMT delivered to Governor Ige
A sacred mountain, scarred by ambition
Apr 19, 2015Star Advertiser
TMT construction postponement to continue
Apr 17, 2015Star Advertiser
- The Thirty Meter Telescope project’s leadership has informed Gov. David Ige that construction will continue to be postponed, according to a statement released by the governor’s office.
Moratorium on Mauna Kea Telescope Construction Extended
Apr 11, 2015Civil Beat
- Hawaii's governor says the Thirty Meter Telescope team tells him the work will be postponed until April 20.
Ige announces 1 week halt of Mauna Kea telescope construction
Apr 07, 2015Hawaii News Now
VIDEO: Why Block TMT on Mauna Kea?
Mar 31, 2015Big Island Video News
- Self-described protectors Lanakila Mangauil and Kahookahi Kanuha explain their reasons for blocking the Thirty Meter Telescope’s construction crews from the Northern Plateau of the Mauna Kea summit
World’s Largest Telescope Faces Opposition from Native Hawaiian Protesters
Feb 20, 2015Scientific American
- Construction has begun on the Thirty Meter Telescope, despite continuing opposition by cultural and environmental activists
TMT project headed back to court: 4 appeal denial of contested case hearing request for sublease
Aug 29, 2014West Hawaii Today
- Four Big Island residents denied a contested case hearing for the Thirty Meter Telescope's sublease are taking the issue to court.
Intel founder, land board asked to stop new Mauna Kea observatory
Jun 12, 2014SF Gate
Mauna Kea is only worth three apartment building development projects
Jun 11, 2014Hawaii Independent
- The proposed sublease rent rates UH plans on charging the TMT LLC totals to roughly three times what the state will charge, in total, developer Forest City to build the 690 Pohukaina apartment building complex.
Hawaii's ecosystem harmed by building on Mauna Kea
Mar 10, 2014Honolulu Star-Advertiser
- KAHEA Board member Jon Osorio submits an op-ed response to an article posted in the Star-Advertiser on February 24, 2014, "UH regents right to OK telescope," Our View."
Mauna Kea: The Road Ahead for the Thirty Meter Telescope
Feb 28, 2014Hawaii Public Radio
- Noe Tanigawa reports on the ongoing approval process for the planned Thirty Meter Telescope atop Mauna Kea.
Thirty Meter Telescope on hold while study conducted
Dec 24, 2013Honolulu Star Advertiser
Taking a stand for Mauna Kea, against mammoth new observatory
Dec 13, 2013SF Gate
New telescope atop Mauna Kea begs questions
Dec 13, 2013Honolulu Star Advertiser
- KAHEA Board VP, Jon Osorio's op-ed on links between the Thirty-Meter Telescope litigation and BLNR's hearing on UH's lease renewal of Mauna Kea lands.
Showdown on Thirty Meter Telescope
Feb 13, 2013Hawaii Tribune Herald
- Dozens of supporters, and an even larger cadre of opponents, lined the streets outside and the hallways inside the Hawaii County Building in Hilo on Tuesday morning in anticipation of the final hearing for a construction permit for the Thirty Meter Telescope before the state Board of Land and Natural Resources.
TMT hearing set for Tuesday
Feb 11, 2013Hawaii Tribune Herald
- The state Board of Land and Natural Resources will hear testimony Tuesday at 11 a.m. concerning the long-debated, $1.3 billion Thirty Meter Telescope project planned for the summit of Mauna Kea.
Land Board is next step for 30-meter telescope
Jan 31, 2013West Hawaii Today
- Land Board is next step for 30-meter telescope
Mauna Kea–Sacred Summit or Cash Cow? Controversy over the Thirty Meter Telescope
Sep 14, 2011Honolulu Weekly
- Are the contributions of astronomy worth the actual costs?
TMT: controversy combusts
Jul 20, 2011Ka Leo The Voice
- Native Hawaiian practitioners and conservationists are making a case against the Thirty Meter Telescope, proposed to be built on Hawaiian public conservation lands atop Mauna Kea.
Grassroots hui coordinates defense of the Mauna Kea conservation district
Jul 04, 2011The Hawaii Independent
- Grassroots hui coordinates defense of the Mauna Kea conservation district
Army studies impact of aviation noise on Mauna Kea
May 22, 2011The Pittsburgh Tribune
- Army studies impact of aviation noise on Mauna Kea
Mauna Kea Telescope OK'd
Feb 26, 2011StarAdvertiser
- Land Board approves Conservation District Use Permit for 18-story, 8-acre Thirty Meter Telescope construction project on conservation lands on Mauna Kea.
State OKs Maui Solar Telescope, Hawaiian Opponents Feel Burned
Dec 02, 2010MauiCivil Beat
UH could gain Mauna Kea oversight
Feb 22, 2009Honolulu Star Advertiser
- UH could gain Mauna Kea oversight. Critics object to bills, given school's 'proven track record of failure.'
Science, Culture Clash Over Sacred Mountain
Mar 18, 2001Los Angeles Times
- The emotionally charged debate over Western and Hawaiian uses of this rocky pinnacle is much more than a fight over a telescope or a mountaintop. To many Hawaiians, nothing less than the future of their homeland is at stake. And it is a perfect example of the often fumbling progress of Western science in a multicultural world.