Resources and Documents
Resources and documents of the struggle to defend the unique ecosystems, endangered species, and wahi pana of two of Hawai`i's highest mountaintops.
Questions? Can't find what you're looking for? Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or call our offices at (877) 585-2432 (toll-free, all islands).
This documentary by Na Maka o ka `Āina "paints a portrait of a mountain that has become a symbol of the Hawaiian struggle for physical, cultural and political survival." Preview below made available by Asia Pacific Films. To purchase a copy or to support the efforts of Na Maka o ka `Āina, see their website or call them at (808) 929-9659.
Mauna Kea `Anainahou has copies of this film to lend for community viewings and house parties (grassroots Netflix!), if you would like to view or share. For more information, contact Shelley Muneoka at email@example.com or (877) 585-2432 (toll-free, all islands.)
Kilakila o Haleakalā seeks to preserve Haleakalā from desecration.
Below find an full archive of documents available for download.
- Letter to Abercrombie
- Letter from the Mauna Kea Hui to Governor Abercrombie, February 16, 2011
- TMT Conservation District Use Permit (CDUA)
- Conservation District Use Permit (CDUA) submitted to the Hawaii Department of Land and Natural Resources
- Fact Sheet: Mauna Kea
- Learn more about Mauna Kea, including historical issues and future solutions.
- Fact Sheet: Thirty Meter Telescope (TMT)
- Fact sheet on Thirty Meter Telescope (TMT) development proposed for Mauna Kea's summit.
- Science and Religion at 14,000 Feet
- A 2009 research report from Harvard University's Pluralism Project. Find the original paper (with links) at http://www.pluralism.org/reports/view/21
- Kanaka Maoli Scholars Statement of Support
- In 2009, dozens of Kanaka Maoli (Native Hawaiian) scholars submitted this statement in support of protecting the sacred summit of Mauna Kea.
- Mauna Kea Hui Comments on TMT CDUA
- Comments on proposed Thirty Meter Telescope Development, November 22, 2010.
- KAHEA Comments on TMT
- KAHEA's public comments on the application for a permit to build the Thirty Meter Telescope, submitted to the Department of Land and Natural Resources (DLNR). October 22, 2010.